Family is the best thing a person could ever have!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Disturbia (In La La Land)

Yuck.



Recently, I've been observing fads that I've participated in in the past. The more I look back on them, the more I think, "what the hell was I thinking?". I have taken the time to explain some of the fads in paper...and I realize that I probably should claim insanity at this point.



1. Beanie Babies.

Remember those growing up? I had a ton of them...and still do (in my attic in a box somewhere). I remember the first few I've ever gotten. Ears the bunny rabbit, Lucky the lady bug, Legs the frog....I got my first ones for my 8th birthday. I remember my party vaguely....my sister was just learning how to drive, and under my mom's instruction, she was going to drive us around for the day. I remember being in the car several times before this when she would attempt to drive... and I remember it never seemed to last long. One particular time, she was almost so nervous, she drove towards the green utility box. Anyway, on my birthday, my friends Sara Gossett and Dale Brodnax were in the backseat with me as we were headed to our destination. I told them to "hang on to the beanie babies, and try to hang on for dear life if they still had room as well". Flash forward a few years later, to 1998. I was in the hospital for one of my numerous surgeries, and mom had gone down to the gift shop while I was sleeping to get me a little gift since I was getting depressed. She came back with Quackers the duck....and to my surprise, in her other hand....was the bear that TY had made to commemorate Princess Diana. I was in shock...and obviously, my mom had no idea about the significance of the gift. I told her that the bears were rare and should have been very expensive. Even my nurse asked where I got it. Within an hour, mom said that the gift shop was so busy, you couldn't even get in...and all the bears were gone. Looking back on it now, I realize the whole thing was more than a little absurd, but when I was 8 years old, I thought they were the greatest thing.



Which brings me to my next disturbing fad.



2. Pokemon.

Remember that HUGE fad back in the early 2000s with the cards, action figures, and movies? Well, back in the day, I somehow got yanked into that. I don't remember much of this fad, but I have two particular instances that I do remember. My sister's then boyfriend James had spent a ton of money on a holigraph Hitmonchan card, and I loved that thing. However, when my friend in Florida saw that I had it, he wanted it. He offered me 3 holigraph cards (Venosaur, Alakazam, and Clefairy) and I thought it was a good trade. However, James was slightly upset when I told him what I had done, and I went to see if I could get my card back from my friend. He wouldn't trade back....and I felt awful about it. The second memory I have about this particular fad was the first Pokemon movie. My mom had taken me and a few of my friends to see it....and she fell asleep during the short film before the movie. When it was all over, she woke up and asked if "that yellow thing stopped saying "Pikachu", to which I remember feeling slightly insulted.

3. Giga Pets/Tamagotchi.
Remember those? The little virtual animal games that were so addicting to take care of, and you thought you were totally awesome for having one? Then your pet died and you were frustrated because you had to start over? The ones that you might have taken to school with you and played with it in class to keep it alive? Yeah, I did all of that. Mom finally hid it from me...and I think she ended up throwing it away. Makes me laugh at the things I got so fascinated with as a kid. I blame my parents and our lack of animals in the house....if my sister and I had a dog or something to take care of, maybe I would have not been so compelled to not pay attention in class because of my portable pet on a keychain....

That's all of my childhood fads I remember right now....that, and I think my hands are starting to cramp from all the typing.

Much love!

Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment